Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Getting to Lake Kariba


So the trip took 7 hours, rather than the 4 we were told. The roads were worse than they had thought. That means your car can be swallowed by potholes. And you spend more time going up and down than forward. I have an amazing video that I will try and upload later. And then we were supposed to pick up somone halfway. But he got stopped by the police and we had to send someone to the police with a bribe so we could continue on. That was another 90 minute wait. Oh yay, and no air conditioning. In 90 degree weather! But we saw monkeys and zebras on the side of the road on the way down! I road down with an American couple who have been here for two years as missionaries working as teachers. They shared my frustration with the hospital saying it is similar at the school...teachers need 1 year of training, 100 kids in a classroom, lack of caring, lack of resources. They were very very encouraging and it was such a blessing to speak with them. Exactly what I needed!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, I was the one they were waiting for. But I never pay bribes. That's why it took me an hour of talking to the Police officer before he would let me go.

    ReplyDelete