Friday, April 24, 2009

Joseph and his leg

2 physical therapists held down a child a put traction on a broken femur. The child, Joseph, screamed when even his other leg was straightened because it moved his left leg. I asked them as soon as I heard what they were doing to stop and bring him to the operating theater to put him under anesthesia. They laughed and said no. I explained how painful it was and how they need to give him something. They said they could reset the leg just fine without it. I kept working on a child two beds away. But the screaming got too awful. The entire ward stopped and turned to stare. I went back over and pleaded again. I told them that this is wrong and they were torturing the child. They laughed again. After they were done, one of them came to find me and said “see I reset the leg just fine without any pain medication”.

No comments:

Post a Comment